If you want to know how to get great curls then the answer is to select the right curling iron. When choosing the right curling iron in the market you would have thought about which curling iron you should choose but don’t worry we have created the ultimate curly iron size guide to help you choose the right curling iron based on hair length, hairstyle, and type of curls you want.
Choosing The Right Curling Iron Size
The Right Curling iron size depends on two things the kind of hairstyle you are going for and the length of your hair as the curling iron sizes decide the type of curl and thus your hairstyle.
- The first thing is the length of the hair and the size of the curling iron are directly proportional so use a smaller curling iron barrel size for short hair (less than 1 inch) and use a bigger curling iron barrel size for long hair ( more than inch). For medium-length hair smaller as well as larger curling iron barrel sizes work. A 1-inch curling iron barrel size is suitable for all hair lengths
- The Second thing in terms of choosing the curling iron is that curling iron size is directly related to the tightness of hair and so the size depends on the kind of curly hairstyles you are going for. For wavy hairstyles, you are going to need curling iron barrel sizes to be higher while for bouncy curves your should use smaller curling iron barrel sizes.
Here we have given the best curling iron sizes for each hair length and hairstyle below choose among them to get your curling iron size.
Curling Iron Size & Hair Style
- Soft Waves hairstyles need curling iron barrel sizes 1.5 inches to 1.75 inches
- The best curling iron barrel size for the Loose Waves hairstyle is 1 inch to 2 inches wide
- Big Waves hairstyle curling iron barrel size 1.75 inches to 2 inches
- Ringlet & Spiral Curls hairstyle needs a curling iron barrel size 3/8 inches to 1/2 inches wide
- The Best curling iron barrel size for tight curls is 1 inch to 1.25 inches
- Big & Bouncy Curls need curling iron barrel size 0.75 inches to 1.5 inches wide
- The best curling iron barrel size for big curls is 1.25 inches to 1.5 inches
- Loose Curls need a curling iron barrel size 1.25 inches to 2 inches wide
What Size Curling Iron Should I Get for Beach Waves?
The best size curling iron for beach waves is between 0.75 inches to 2 inches though it also depends on the length of your hair. For medium to long hair, a 1-inch curling iron is the best size for beach waves while for shorter hair 5/8 inch is the best size curling iron.
What Size Curling Iron Should I get for Long hair?
The best size curling iron for long hair is 1.25 inches,1.5 inches, 1.75 inches, and 2 inches all the larger barrels though the right one will also depend on the hairstyle you select. For a beach wave hairstyle, a 1-inch curling iron is the best.
What Size Curling Iron is Best for Shoulder Length Hair?
The best size curling iron for shoulder-length hair is 5/8 inch, 3/4 inch, and 1.25 inch with the right one also depending on the hairstyle you choose
What Size Curling Iron Should I get for Short hair
The best size curling iron for short hair are ¾ inches,½ inches, ⅜ inches, and ⅝ inches all the smaller barrels size though the right one will also depend on the hairstyle you select
1 vs 1.25 Inch Curling Iron What to select?
You have to select a curling iron depending on the type of curl you want and the length of your hair. Using a 1 Inch Curling iron will give you tighter curls as compared to using a 1.25-inch curling iron. If the length of your hair is short or medium then you should use a 1-inch curling iron while if the length of your hair is shoulder length or even longer then you should use 1.25 inches curling iron.
Guide to Curling Iron Sizes
2 Inches Curling Iron
- Best Suited for Long Hair is also known as the bumper
- Best suited for a slight curl with big bouncy ends, defined waves, and loose waves
- If you use this on shorter hair instead of curling you will instead add bend and volume
- It gives a little bend to your hair which looks like a blowout and can help you create the faux blowout look
1- 3/4 (1.75) Inches Curling Iron
- Rare size not usually found in the market
- Best suited for soft waves, and loose waves
- If you use this on shorter hair you will and volume and also get some soft curls
1- 1/2 (1.5) Inches Curling Iron
- Best Suited for Shoulder length hair and Long Hair
- Best suited for a bouncy curl, body waves, and loose voluminous curl
1- 1/4 (1.25)Inches Curling Iron
- Best Suited for medium hair, Shoulder length hair, and Long Hair
- Best suited for a soft natural wave and for most other waves and curls hairstyles
- This cannot add volume to hair but will add texture
1-Inch Curling Iron
- Works with short, medium hair, shoulder length hair, and Long Hair this is the most versatile size
- Use this on short hair and you can get a loose wave
- Use this on long hair or medium hair and you can get a beach wave
- You can create beach waves as well as full-bodied waves through this curling iron.
- You can also use this to create one of the Hollywood classic waves.
3/4 (0.75)Inch Curling Iron
- Best Suited for Shoulder Length Hair
- Best suited for vintage curls, disco curls, corkscrew curls, and polished curls hairstyles
- You can use this on thin hair or thick hair on straight hair or hair that is naturally curly without any issues
5/8 Inch Curling Iron
- Best suited to create natural-looking curls
- Works best with Chin Length short hair to create beach waves
- When applied on longer hair you can create tight curls that look like natural curls.
1/2-Inch Curling Iron
- Works best with Chin Length short hair to create tight curls, spiral curls, and ringlet
- Works best with thin and short bobbed hair as thicker hair will not work well with tight curls
3/8-Inch Curling Iron
- Best suited for thin and short hair and giving a bend to short hairstyles like the pixie cut
- You can use this on longer hair to get corkscrew curls
- best suited for spiral, bouncy curls, and kinky hairstyles
- Works for crimping hair and also for hair flyaway styling
- Don’t use it on straight hair as it will take a lot of time if you use this curling iron on straight hair.
How Does Curling Iron Work in Creating a Curl?
A Curling iron works by wrapping your hair around the hot barrel of the curling iron and every time the hair wraps you get one curl and the more times your hair wraps around the curling iron more curls you can create. This is why hair length plays such an important role in deciding the barrel size of a curling iron that you should select
Standard Size of Curling Iron?
The standard size of curling iron is 1 inch which works with most hair lengths and hairstyles. 1.25 inch is another standard size of curling iron